How to A/B test Calls-to-action in HubSpot
1. Go to the Call to Action ManagerFind your Call to Action manager.
2. Create a variation A/B Test
Locate the CTA you want to create a variation of and click on the gear icon > Create a variation to get started. If you have not already created the original CTA that you want to create a variation of, follow this guide to create a CTA.
3. Edit the variation
Use the CTA editor to make changes to the variation. Remember to only change a few variables between variations so that you can easily determine what your visitors are responding to. Manipulating the Call to Action Text is a great place to start.
Once you've completed editing the variation, click the Create CTA Variation button.
You will now see your CTAs grouped under the original CTA's Name and a Variation test group label.
You can repeat the last step to create unlimited additional variations, but a meaningful A/B variation test should only have a few variations so you can easily see the top performing CTA variation.
4. Measure Your Results
After you let your A/B variation test run long enough to get a decent sample size of views (at least 100 views each), you can visit to the Call to Action detail screen to view the results of the test. To get to the detail screen, go back to the Call-to-action dashboard and click on the detail link above the gear icon in the variation group.
The details screen displays the analytics for your A/B variation test and provides a full size preview of the buttons.
The metrics are defined as:
- Views: the number of times the CTA has been viewed.
- Views > Clicks: the percentage of views which lead to clicks of the CTA
- Clicks: the number of clicks the CTA has gotten
- Clicks > Submissions: the percentage of CTA clicks that lead to form submissions on the attached landing page
- Submissions: the number of form submissions on the subsequent landing page that were completed after the CTA was clicked on.
5. Take Action Based on Your Results
If one of your CTAs has a much lower Views > Clicks percentage than the rest of the CTAs in that group, you may want to disable that CTA variation. You can disable your CTA variation by going back to the CTA dashboard and clicking on the gear icon > Disable variation.